Sunday, November 26, 2017

Feeling Thankful...

I hope you all had a good week.  We had a nice Thanksgiving with our sons and a yummy meal  More on that later, though...

All the crocheting I have to show for the past week is stitched up into this small pile of new squares that will be going into my Last Dance blanket.  They aren't blocked and I'm still working on the last one, so here's where I was on that task Saturday afternoon:

Boy, that's a busy background.  Oh well...  it's the cloth on my dining room table at the moment.

Once the ends are woven into these eight squares and they are blocked, I am half-way done.  Twenty-four squares down, twenty-four squares to go.  That may sound like a big job ahead of me, but really...  because each square is made four times (and they are usually a breeze after making the first one), crocheting these is fairly quick work.  I'm still hanging onto the hope that I'll have this finished shortly after the end of the year.

And since I asked for help last week about how to cook venison backstrap, let me report that after much research, I ended up marinating the meat for 24 hours in Allegro Marinade.  There are lots of purchase options for marinade, and plenty of ideas for making your own, but I decided to use what I could find locally and this was it:


Oh my goodness - it made for the most delicious pan-seared and cooked venison steaks; and we also sauteed strips of meat for eating fajita-style with sauteed peppers and onions.  It was fantastic!  I'm only sad that I don't have any more venison backstrap meat to prepare like this.  I have some various cuts of venison in the freezer that we've been given so I'll put the marinade to use on those.  And I'm going to try this product on beef as well.  I can only imagine it will be delicious.   I found this at Meijer, but I think Kroger may carry it, too (for whatever interest that may hold for anyone).

And starting Friday morning, it has been back to my sort of unpredictable, kind of newly busy-crazy life.  Since mid-summer I've been doing elder companion care, and it's feast or famine in terms of the work (because the husband of the couple I work for has a sporadic, on-call work schedule).  I never would have believed it until I took a chance and tried it, but I kind of love doing this type of work.  Though truth be told, I fear I've been spoiled by the sweetest lady in the world who's in need of this kind of care, and honestly can't imagine doing it for anyone else.  But that's okay, really.  I wasn't even looking for work when this opportunity presented itself, so I'm just thankful for what it brings to my life in this season.  Not only does the work feel worthwhile, but I'm grateful for the friendship that has grown with this couple.

So I'm out the door in a few minutes, and if you're reading this on Sunday, I'm either at church running the sound board for morning worship,  taking the sweet lady mentioned above out to a nice lunch (compliments of her husband) or tucked in at her home spending a quiet Sunday afternoon in her company.  I imagine she'll nap a bit after a busy morning and a yummy lunch, so maybe I'll get a couple more Last Dance squares crocheted up. 😊

As for the week ahead... I'm hoping my first-ever computer glasses come in (and hoping they work well for me), I'm getting fitted for a mouth guard on Monday, helping with the Little Dresses project on Tuesday and am seriously looking forward to some unseasonable 60-degree days later in the week so I can clean my windows before winter sets in!

To see what other YOPPERs are up to, visit our group on Ravelry.




11 comments:

  1. Hi Becki :) How nice that you are enjoying the work. You can bet she's enjoying your company too! I've never had venison, is it "gamey"? Or is it the old cliché, "tastes like chicken" lol? I'm glad you had a nice holiday. I had a mouth guard at one point, but the lazy dentist made it way too tight. It cost me $500 and he wouldn't replace it, said it was probably my teeth shifting...yeah, I didn't buy that excuse for a minute! I need to get another one at some point, when I'm very stressed, I grind my teeth all night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The venison I've used for chili or tacos has a bit of a gamey taste, but because it gets seasoned with chili and taco seasoning (I do make my own of those) I don't really taste it. My youngest son, though, finds the tacos I make a bit too gamey for his liking.

      I understand that the taste of deer meat will depending not only on what is its normal diet, but also on how it was processed and how fresh it was kept on it's way to processing. This backstrap had no gamey taste at all, but that could have been due to the marinade. It was truly delicious. And yeah... I'm needing a mouth guard because I evidently am pulverizing my teeth as I sleep. Here's hoping this one feels comfortable to wear. I've tried a splint in the past but that was miserable, so decided to finally spring for a full guard.

      Delete
  2. lol. I need a nap just reading about how busy you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready to go to bed - having just gotten home after leaving the house around 7:45 this morning. It's been a looong day.

      Delete
  3. What lovely squares and you block each and every one before you put them together? Sounds better than after with a big blanket. They are so well done. Your stitches always look so perfect. So glad you had a nice Thanksgiving with your family and the venison sounded wonderful! It's so much healthier than store bought beef. I remember that brand but not sure I ever tried their marinade but I will! I had to look up FWIW.....duh...I had no idea what it stood for. Thank goodness for Google! I had a mouth guard once when I started grinding my teeth in my sleep but it was a stressful time (divorce) now I sleep like a rock! LOL! And no grinding! I hope yours is not caused my stress. The job sounds wonderful and finding a good friend is such a bonus! If I didn't have my blog friends I wouldn't have any! LOL! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I block them mostly because they all need to be 9 inches square before joining. A couple needed straightening, but most of these squares have crocheted up pretty perfect. I sometimes feel that way - about friends and blogging. I've met some of the nicest people online. I've met a few ornery ones, too, but fortunately my experience has been mostly on the positive side. ;^)

      Delete
  4. It's so nice to hear about your elder care work. My Mom lived on her own for many years and benefited a great deal from the time and companionship provided by paid caregivers, particularly a lovely woman who helped with light housework and shopping through an organization called "Seniors helping Seniors". And the extra help through the week meant that we could spend our weekend visits doing fun things rather than chores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has given me a great appreciation for this last season of life - even in her state of mild dementia, she is such an example to me. She is such a pleasure to spend time with, I told her husband this weekend I almost feel guilty taking money to do this. And then I repeated "almost" ;^) They are both gems. He's 86 and she is 83. They are the sweetest couple I personally know at this point in time. And everyone I know who knows them thinks the same thing.

      Delete
  5. That's really lovely! what a blessing! I am so glad!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so busy - it's a wonder you have time for anything else! Those squares look perfect, I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great you love your current work. What a big help you are. Your current square looks terrific. And BTW, your squares are in neutrals so they're totally fine against your printed tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete